Saturday, July 14, 2012

Master Bathroom Progress

Color My World...

This week's project in the master bathroom was to liven up the tiny toilet room with wall color.  I am obsessed with dark, dramatic grey hues right now...ok, if we're being honest, I've been stuck on this one for at least a year, but it hasn't worn out its welcome yet.  I selected the paint color "Brown Taupestone" by ColorPlace at Wal-Mart. Because we were painting such a small area (10 feet high x 3 feet wide), it only required a quart of paint, and that means only $12 for the paint!!



The stone in our bathroom is a beige color with grey undertones, so the color in the toilet room will still tie in to the rest of the bathroom. Because the room is so tiny, I elected to paint only the back wall to avoid shrinking the room.  In addition to painting the wall, we (meaning my handy hubby) installed 24" wide floating shelves in espresso finish from Target for $15.99 each. I forgot to snap a "before" photo, but the wall was the same color as the cream wall that you see on the right side.

BTW, we used a handy painting tip that I found on Pinterest - wrapping the toilet in Saran wrap really does work, and clean up was a breeze!


We have oil-rubbed bronze fixtures throughout the house, and I chose the espresso finish shelves to highlight that element in this room.  To add more dark accents, I found this oil-rubbed bronze finish toilet brush and plunger from the Better Homes and Gardens collection at Wal-Mart.


They were a bargain, at about $35 for both, and I love the detail around the top and bottom edges:


So, the weekend project list continues!  I will close with one tip that I have learned over the years in painting, which is to tear off the paint chip that was used, containing the name and number of the color and tape it to the top of the paint can.  This makes re-orders from mass retailers much easier!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You're so good at all these DIY projects!! I had to hire everyone to do...well, everything! I go to Wal-mart all the time, but never have I found all these treasures! Looks to me like your house is coming together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete